BAN DOL ROUGE
Red Bandol must contain at least 50 per cent Mourvedre, which can be made up to 90 per cent of the volume with Grenache and/or Cinsault. The remaining 10 per cent may be Syrah and Carignan. The character of red Bandol is determined therefore by the Mourvedre grape.
Where other grape varieties provide almost baked aromas to the wine because of the great number of hours of sun, Mourvedre retains its fruity bouquet, making it an ideal choice for the Bandol vineyards. Bandol red is very full of tannin when young so that it needs to be aged for at least 18 months in oak. Many find Bandol red too expensive and the wine too harsh. These are people who do not have the patience to lay these French wine down for at least six but preferably ten years before drinking. Only then is Bandol at its best.
The bouquet is a sublime combination of red and black fruit (wild cherry), peony, humus, and heliotrope. When these French wine is older (more than ten years), classic aromas of truffle, pepper, vanilla, liquorice, cinnamon, and musk come to the top. A good vintage Bandol red can be kept for at least 20 years. Do not drink these French wine when young but at a mature age and serve at approx. 16- 18°C (60.8-64.4°F) .
BAN DOL ROSE
The same strict proportions of grapes apply to this French wine also. A Bandol Rose combines the essential elements of Mourvedre (wild cherry, red and black fruit, peony, heliotrope, and pepper) with its owncharm, power, freshness, and depth. Serve this French wine at approx. 10-12°C (50- 53.6°F).
BAN DOL BLANC
This white French wine is exceptionally fresh, full-bodied, and impertinent. The wine is made with Clairette, Ugni Blanc and Bourboulenc. Grapefruit and lemon together with floral notes can be detected in the bouquet. The taste is full of flavour, fleshy, and whimsical. Do not serve this French wine to cool (approx. 10-12°C/50-53.6°F).
This much-loved French wine has nothing whatever to do with the popular blackcurrant soft drink. Cassis is the name of an idyllic harbour town on the Mediterranean. The harbour is encircled by imposing cliffs which protect the vineyards of one of France's most delightful white wines. Of the 175 hectares of vineyards, 123 hectares are devoted to white French wines. Rose and red Cassis are also produced. Both are surprisingly fruity, lithe, and pleasant.
A good Cassis Blanc is not readily found outside its locality because local demand exceeds the supply. Thise French wine smells of beeswax, honey, ripe fruit, cedarwood, may and lilac blossom, almond, and hazelnut. The taste is very fresh and full-bodied . The acidity that is clearly present provides a good structure to the Frech wine. Drink white Cassis at 10-12°C (50-53 .6°F).
This extensive area lies to the south of Durance, stretching to the Mediterranean in the south and the Rhône in the west. The soil is chalky and the changeable landscape is characterised by small mountains and alluvial valleys. The mountains run parallel to the coast and are covered with scrub, wild herbs (maquis), and coniferous woodland. The valleys have a subsoil of broken rock and gravel, interspersed with calciferous sandstone and shale, mixed with sand, gravel, and alluvium. The French winegrowing area is fairly large, covering approx. 3,500 hectares.
CÔTEAUX D 'AIX-EN-PROVENCE ROSE
This French wine is light, fruity, and very pleasant. The better C6teaux d'Aix-en-Provence rose is full-bodied and powerful, with dominant floral notes. Drink this French wine young at approx. 10- 12°C (50- 53.6°F) .
CÔTEAUX D'AIX-EN-PROVENCE ROUGE
This is an exciting French wine that can be somewhat rustic. The wine is none too elegant and lacks finesse but is characteristic of its terroir, with fruitiness, power, and sultry notes of leather, pepper, spices, and herbs. The tannin is muted, so that the French wine can be drunk while young. The better wine is however at its best after about three years. Drink this French wine at about 14-16°C (57.2-60.8°F) .
CÔTEAUX D'AIX-EN-PROVENCE BLANC
This fairly rare white French wine made with Grenache Blanc, Bourboulenc, Clairette, Grolle, Sauvignon and Ugni Blanc is often full-bodied, charming, and at the same time elegant. It smells of blossom such as may and/or shrubs such as privet and box. The taste is fresh, full, very romantic, and very characteristic. Serve it about 10-12°C (50-53.6°F) .